IMU MBBS Interview
This was my second interview in my life.
I'll skip the front part. I guess it was still okay, as the atmosphere was nice, the terrifying interviewers were smiling throughout the interview.
I called them "terrifying" because from their body languages, they seemed to be treating the interviewees like small kids. They leaned back on their chairs, secretly shaking their feet under the table. Perhaps they have had a long day conducting interview session with the students.
Everything went okay until the ambiguous case part.
"You're a pilot and you have completed 3 hours of the journey. Suddenly, a passenger from the Business class had a heart attack.
The nearest destination is 2 hours away, and the weather is stormy right now. The final destination is 10 hours away. If you want to land at the nearest destination, there might be a chance that the plane might crash due to the weather. What would you do?"
Although a friend who had gone to the interview has told me about this, I still don't really know how to answer it.
My answer was to land at the nearest destination to save the heart attack passenger despite the fact that I'm risking the lives of the other 350 passengers on the plane. The interviewers asked me to reconsider my answer. To me, if there is a storm at A, wouldn't there be a storm at B, and isn't it the same that the pilot still has to continue the journey to final destination? Maybe I was having the wrong idea about the question.
The doctor-titled interviewer asked me if there's any alternatives. I spent quite some time to think about it. He hinted me to read again the first sentence of the question. I didn't grasp it. So my final answer was still the same. I think he was a little upset with it and kind of threw his pen(or maybe not) on the table.
Thank you for hinting me, sir.
I didn't know that the hint was to ask me to consider to fly back to the original destination which was 3 hours away. With that decision, I'll be able to save the heart attack passenger and also avoid the storm. This option did occur in my mind at the very beginning but it only flashed through for a few seconds, and then I spent time figuring the best solution, which was absolutely not the best.
I walked out of the interview room, a little fed up with myself. I don't think I have a chance in the MBBS programme. I couldn't imagine myself waiting for the information letter which is to then tell me that I am not qualified for the programme 2 weeks or one month later.
Lulu and I went back to college after this. I spent some time reminiscing the whole event. They've asked about my hobby, my experience during hospital attachment, my weaknesses and the essential qualities of being a doctor. I was able to answer them, although not having the best answer.
They asked if I can sing very well(I answered that my hobby is singing to distress). I answered too fast, saying "Yes." They laughed. Then I explained that I've been in choir for 7 years. He said that there must be a reason why I'm in it for such a long time. Yes I'm passionate towards things that I like. You can't live without passion aite.
After telling my parents almost about the whole interview session, my dad concluded that I'm inflexible in my thinking and I really need to work hard on it.
The interviewers asked if I have a lot of friends. I said, "No." They were a little surprised with my answer. "I have a few best friends and I think that's enough." I should have explained more. What's the point of having a lot of friends who don't really know you well?
I'm not a great person. I don't have great mind, and am probably narrow-minded. I learned to be open-minded. You can't expect me to be perfect. I'm only 19. But I'll learn. Continuous learning is also one of the important quality in one's life.
If I failed my interview, this would be the end of my dream to become a doctor. I hope it doesn't stop here. This is actually my back-up university.
I should just pray that I'll get a seat in the MBBS course. Or maybe not. Just let it be.
I'll skip the front part. I guess it was still okay, as the atmosphere was nice, the terrifying interviewers were smiling throughout the interview.
I called them "terrifying" because from their body languages, they seemed to be treating the interviewees like small kids. They leaned back on their chairs, secretly shaking their feet under the table. Perhaps they have had a long day conducting interview session with the students.
Everything went okay until the ambiguous case part.
"You're a pilot and you have completed 3 hours of the journey. Suddenly, a passenger from the Business class had a heart attack.
The nearest destination is 2 hours away, and the weather is stormy right now. The final destination is 10 hours away. If you want to land at the nearest destination, there might be a chance that the plane might crash due to the weather. What would you do?"
Although a friend who had gone to the interview has told me about this, I still don't really know how to answer it.
My answer was to land at the nearest destination to save the heart attack passenger despite the fact that I'm risking the lives of the other 350 passengers on the plane. The interviewers asked me to reconsider my answer. To me, if there is a storm at A, wouldn't there be a storm at B, and isn't it the same that the pilot still has to continue the journey to final destination? Maybe I was having the wrong idea about the question.
The doctor-titled interviewer asked me if there's any alternatives. I spent quite some time to think about it. He hinted me to read again the first sentence of the question. I didn't grasp it. So my final answer was still the same. I think he was a little upset with it and kind of threw his pen(or maybe not) on the table.
Thank you for hinting me, sir.
I didn't know that the hint was to ask me to consider to fly back to the original destination which was 3 hours away. With that decision, I'll be able to save the heart attack passenger and also avoid the storm. This option did occur in my mind at the very beginning but it only flashed through for a few seconds, and then I spent time figuring the best solution, which was absolutely not the best.
I walked out of the interview room, a little fed up with myself. I don't think I have a chance in the MBBS programme. I couldn't imagine myself waiting for the information letter which is to then tell me that I am not qualified for the programme 2 weeks or one month later.
Lulu and I went back to college after this. I spent some time reminiscing the whole event. They've asked about my hobby, my experience during hospital attachment, my weaknesses and the essential qualities of being a doctor. I was able to answer them, although not having the best answer.
They asked if I can sing very well(I answered that my hobby is singing to distress). I answered too fast, saying "Yes." They laughed. Then I explained that I've been in choir for 7 years. He said that there must be a reason why I'm in it for such a long time. Yes I'm passionate towards things that I like. You can't live without passion aite.
After telling my parents almost about the whole interview session, my dad concluded that I'm inflexible in my thinking and I really need to work hard on it.
The interviewers asked if I have a lot of friends. I said, "No." They were a little surprised with my answer. "I have a few best friends and I think that's enough." I should have explained more. What's the point of having a lot of friends who don't really know you well?
I'm not a great person. I don't have great mind, and am probably narrow-minded. I learned to be open-minded. You can't expect me to be perfect. I'm only 19. But I'll learn. Continuous learning is also one of the important quality in one's life.
If I failed my interview, this would be the end of my dream to become a doctor. I hope it doesn't stop here. This is actually my back-up university.
I should just pray that I'll get a seat in the MBBS course. Or maybe not. Just let it be.

No comments: